Skip to main content

🗽Book Tour with Guest Post & Giveaway ➱ Coincidence: Speculative Historical Fiction by Author Jon Ketzner

 




On the eve of President John F. Kennedy's final trip to Dallas, an irreverent narrator from the Ether begins to reveal the hidden chain of events that history never recorded. Spanning decades and weaving together Hollywood legends, political dynasties, secret affairs, and forgotten tragedies, Coincidence imagines how seemingly unrelated lives become entangled in the most infamous assassination of the twentieth century. From Joseph P. Kennedy and Gloria Swanson to Jackie Kennedy, Mary Pinchot Meyer, and the young Lee Harvey Oswald, every choice, passion, and betrayal sends ripples through time. Behind every headline lies another story, and every story hides a secret long buried. As the strands converge on November 22, 1963, the line between fate and accident begins to blur. Rich in historical detail and provocative speculation, Coincidence asks: was it really coincidence at all?


Read an Excerpt

Jackie rarely consulted him about her clothing. Her sense of style, if not her sense of humor, was notorious.

“The pink.”

She seemed surprised. “Why the pink?”

“Texas. All those tired cowgirls raising their brat kids to be Miss America. They adore pink in Texas.”

The First Lady eyed the pink at arm’s length. She shrugged. “Okay. The pink.”

“But the hat,” POTUS said, “could you do without the hat. I hate those things.”

Jackie shook her head.

“I’ll need the hat. Without the bubble top on, my hair would be a mess.”

The president leaned back against the pillows on his rock-hard bed, supine in his boxers and the argyles Bobby had given him which bore the presidential seal. He grinned.

“Remember the times when we would drift down the Potomac, standing by the rail, the wind blowing wildly through your hair, and there on the river in the middle of the city you would sink sexily to your knees…”

“Drop dead, Mr. President.” Words Jackie would soon want back.

The door to Suite 850 opened and George Lapp entered to help The President dress. He nodded at Jackie. He had seen her naked many times and was indifferent to the marital scenario into which he had strolled. Jackie smiled curtly and sidled toward her own room to don the pink Chanel, including its matching hat.

Before she left, the President grinned and said to his valet. “I might need the back brace today, George, had a strenuous night.”

Guest Post:
What inspires me and why?

As a writer of short history, but a lifelong observer of the human condition, I am much more of a voyeur than a robust participant in the edgy, inspired activities and relationships that other folks enjoy and from which heroes emerge. Like most folks, witnessing or hearing second hand about people who overcome adversities or repel the evil doing of others, especially if done in the service of weaker victims, still can, even at my age, produce goose-bumps, throat gulps and tears. 

I am amazed at the kindness, intelligence and parenting of our two children. I am convinced that the challenges facing today’s parents of young children, with the ubiquitous overhang of social media and, now, the galloping implications of Artificial Intelligence, far exceed the challenges we faced as parents just one generation ago. That my kids seem so capable at meeting those challenges does inspire me. It shows me that, indeed, the breed can be improved. My grandchildren are very fortunate.

I often say that the narrative formula I most enjoy in my writing is a strong female protagonist, cartoon villains and a happy, even Hallmark, ending. When I see that narrative arc in the real world, I rejoice. I am also inspired by the magic that humor can bring to helping ease the trials everyone faces in their life’s journeys. Silliness and wit are a great anecdote for a life lived knowing that one day you and everyone you love is going to die. That the great mass of humanity does not slip into bottomless despair or nihilism is inspirational .

I am not immune to the joys and inspiration that attend competition, especially athletic competitions. While the efforts of, say, a pediatric oncologist, result in heroic deeds and outcomes far more important than winning a World Series, I can still greatly enjoy the athleticism, grace, grit and happiness those baseball games can produce. Similarly, great, funny literature and performative arts can touch me to my core. Most men, I think, are romantics and I do not run from this aspect in my makeup. 

I’m sure this is a question with bottomless answers. In short, many things inspire me to high appreciation, if not my own high deeds. Humanity is an amazing species, even if randomly descendant from some carbon cells, fusing with ammonia in a lightning storm. While it is true we have much to blush about, we also have so much more to take a bow for to the cosmic audience. 


About the Author: Jon Ketzner was born in Cumberland, Maryland in the lovely Appalachian foothills. He grew up in Baltimore then graduated from Towson University with a degree in mathematics and went on to a long career as a consulting actuary. For many years, Jon and his family lived in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania before moving back to Cumberland in 1990.

As a recovering actuary and inspired by the Maryland Writers Association’s “Notable Authors” monthly challenges, Jon decided to try his hand at writing and give his left-brain side a rest. He cites as influences: Henry Fielding, Joseph Heller, Gregory McDonald, and Tim Dorsey.

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/34506564.Jon_Ketzner

This post is part of a virtual book tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions. Jon Ketzner will be awarding a $25 Amazon/BN gift card to a randomly drawn winner. Click on the tour banner to see the other stops on the tour.

#Coincidence #SpeculativeFiction #HistoricalFiction #JonKetzner #BookTour #GuestPost #Giveaway #goddessfishpromotions

Comments

  1. Thank you for featuring COINCIDENCE today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for hosting my novel today. I hope your followers find something they enjoy and look further into possibly reading “ Coincidence.” I will try to respond to comments quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment