Skip to main content

🐯Book Tour & Author Interview ➱ Summer and Shadows (The Pact of the Veil Book 2) Sapphic Urban Fantasy by author Kathryne Lentes

 

RECENT RELEASE


Book Title:  Summer and Shadows (The Pact of the Veil, Book Two)

Author:  Kathryne Lentes

Publisher:  Nine Star Press 

Cover Artist: Jaycee DeLorenzo

Release Date: August 18, 2026

Pairing: FF

Tense/POV: first person/past tense 

Genres: Paranormal, Lesbian Urban Fantasy 

Tropes: Taboo, trans, poly, pansexual, snow leopard shifter, elves, witch, magic, conspiracy

Themes: Self-acceptance

Heat Rating: 1 out of 5 flames

Length: 35 900 words

It is the second book in the series. (Book 1 The Night Menagerie)

It does not end on a cliffhanger.

Goodreads: 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/256041133-summer-and-shadows

 Buy Links

Publisher https://ninestarpress.com/product/summer-and-shadows/

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Shadows-Pact-Veil-Book-ebook/dp/B0HC19F2HH

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/summer-and-shadows

  

Tagline

The time is now; the city is LA. The hunt for a magical killer has begun

 

Blurb 

Sah has gone through a lot in three years. I mean how often does a person find out their sister disappeared, meet a hot detective, get bitten by a werewolf, and discover they are part of a legacy of shape shifters? She thought her life would calm down and she could enjoy a summer vacation in LA. But now she is mixed up with the Fae and a magical serial killer. To survive she must find new allies and embrace her new self without reservation.

Author Interview

Tell us a little about yourself.

I’m Kathryne Lentes. I live in St. Louis with my partner. We have two cats (Firefly and Thomas O’Malley). I spend my days off reading, playing games, and watching far too many Godzilla films.   

Do you have a favorite quote (either from your own books or one’s you’ve read)?

 “If I got rid of my demons, I’d lose my angels.” ― Tennessee Williams

(Bonus fact: both my first book the Night Menagerie, and the current one, Summer and Shadows, had their titles inspired by Tennessee Williams plays.

How long have you been writing and what made you fall in love with writing?

Well, back in high school, I was writing very bad fantasy stories. In college, I moved on to bad cyberpunk novels. Around 2004, I started sharing them on the web and finally got them published 3 years ago.  I think it all got started when my dad handed me a copy of Giant-Size X-Men #1 (the one where we first got Wolverine, Colossus, Storm, etc., on the team). I was hooked on creative stories and have wanted to create my own thing ever since.  

What are your ambitions for your writing career?

I always joke that I am waiting for my 3-movie contract, but I would really just love to have an audience that appreciates the tales I tell and the ability to keep a roof over my head.

What’s your favorite part of writing?

I think the first inspiration.  That moment you see something, and it sparks an idea, and the concept seems limitless; for me, it usually leads to not just a story beat but this whole new world I can create and populate for others to enjoy. 

Tell us about your writing style. 

I think I like to focus first on the characters, their relationships, and the dialogue.  Really good dialogue is my favorite thing in the world.  I tend to write witty, sarcastic women.  Now my grammar could use a lot of work, but I think that is part of being Neuro-spicy. 

What does your writing process look like?

I feel like the best thing to do would be to send a picture of me with a laptop trying to stop a cat from invading my space. That is a lot of it. I tend to sit on my couch in the early mornings with a mountain dew, some trail-mix and a little Halestorm playing in the background.  

Why did you choose to write LGBT romance/fiction? 

I think I wrote a lot of bad fiction when I started because there was a lot of who I was that I had to hide.  The moment I came out and could start writing queer characters discovering themselves and finding love opened up my writing in a whole new way. 

Describe a scene in your writing that has made you laugh or cry?

So in my book Apocrypha, two characters are talking: Kitsune and Apocrypha.  Apocrypha is giving this speech about her life being planned out for her by her parents and her not having control over who she really was. When I went back to proof it, I realized that I was saying all the things I felt about transitioning through this character, and I started crying. 

Give the readers a brief summary of your latest book or WIP. What genre does it fall in?

So my newest book is Summer and Shadows. The second book in the Pact of the Veil. An urban fantasy/ paranormal romance about a shape shifter who is called in as a subject matter expert by the Fae who lead Los Angeles, supernatural creatures, when they suspect a lycanthrope might be killing people on the streets of the city.

Give us a little insight into your main characters. Who are they?

The main character is Sah Williams, a writer who has bonded with a snow leopard totem, allowing her to shape-shift.  She is still settling into her new community and abilities when she is sent to L.A.  She is all on her own and has to find new friends, allies, and maybe new love if she wants to survive. 

Will we be seeing these characters again? 

Summer and Shadows is the second book in the series, and Sah keeps whispering to me about all the other exciting adventures she can go one so I will write at least one more in the Pact of the Veil. 

About the Author  

Kathryne Lentes has been writing stories as long as she could hold a pen in her hand. She is a transwoman who, when not working on her own projects, operates Paper Phoenix Ink, a blog showcasing queer creators. She is currently living in Saint Louis with her wife, two cats, and a pile of science fiction and fantasy books.

 Author Links

Website: https://paperphoenixink.com/

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/kathryne.lentes

Bluesky:  @paperphoenixink.bsky.social

Twitter: @paperphoenixink

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/paperphoenixink/


Hosted by Gay Book Promotions

https://gaybookpromotions.wordpress.com


Hosted by Gay Book Promotions

#lesbian #trans #poly #urbanfantasy #shifter #elves #witches #magic #KathryneLentes #koboplusbooks #gaybookpromotions

Comments