Skip to main content

Book Thoughts and Recommendations 🧐 Our Picks for the Week of April 24th

  


📚 Our Book Recommendations & Thoughts  


😭 Make Me Whole by Marie Johnston

🗡️ Eve of Destruction by Sherrilyn Kenyon

🐍 Alexandro by C.R. Robertson

👑 Broken Crown by Rachel Van Dyken

🔥 Demon's Wish by Xenia Melzer

🏍️ Country by Lila Rose


Amazon  BookBub  Goodreads 



Make Me Whole (Oil Barrons, #1)Make Me Whole by Marie Johnston
Description:
I had a perfect life. Schoolteacher. Married to my high school sweetheart. Little starter house that we called charming but was really just old. All I needed was the two-point-five kids and I’d be living my dream. Then my husband died.
After the funeral, I had a breakdown that lasted for a month…or twelve. But now I’m reemerging, healing, and finding my way. It’s time to learn who I am, and whether or not I can fix a leaky sink. And by my side the entire time is my husband’s best friend Liam Barron. The single dad knows a thing or two about personal struggles, and about how to replace faucets.
With Liam, I feel alive again. Confident. Capable. Liam has become my best friend too. Except if my parents, my in-laws, and the rest of the town had any say, I’d stay far away from the former bad boy. How do I tell them what’s so hard to admit to myself? That I’m starting to look at him like he’s more than a friend. That the heat in his eyes when he looks at me is also far beyond friendly. That like it or not, I’m ready to move on, and I want to do it with him
Our Thoughts 💭
Angst that satisfies 😌
Kenny had lost the love of her life 💔
She was, barely putting one foot in front of the other 18 months later
If it wasn't for her therapist, her online support group, and Liam, her sometimes psychic, always pushy rock, she may never have found the courage to live again
For Liam being labeled the town "wild child" since birth (no fault of his mind you) a single dad, and an unwanted Barron (that one chapped the most ) had left him with few he could call "his people". There was Derek, Kenny, and his grandparents.
Now Derek and his G'pa were gone
Wasn't anything keeping him in town anymore
Once he knew Kenny was okay and he sold the land...
Though fate has something else in store for the next chapter of their lives. It isn't going to be easy to get there but the rewards will be worth it if they can get past the obstacles in their path.
These two left me with a grade 'A' book hangover
The balance between the hurts and the feels was ...
practically perfect -
I think I smiled a bit more 😄
Kenny had some growing to do which is natural after losing your partner. I enjoyed that part of her journey
Liam also had to come to terms with perceptions and acceptance as well as how that was affecting his life
Then there was them
There was such a natural feel to the way the relationship between Liam and Kenny developed - it felt right.
They fit
I know there is more to the evil Barron Sr. and I'm hoping we get the tea on him soon
I'm excited about Laney's story
Make Me Whole was a great start to the series
Well developed characters
Easy to get lost in the storyline
Definitely a small town that I will want to return to soon
#Contemporary #Western #Romance #MarieJohnston
Eve Erixour is a mercenary with a past no one would envy and more enemies than anyone should have. Death stalks her relentlessly. So when she gains the attention of a League assassin, she considers it par for the course.
But Jinx Shadowbourne isn’t after Eve. Someone has it in for him and his brethren. High-ranking assassins are falling, and Jinx is convinced one of their own is selling them out. He’s on the trail of his key suspect when fate throws him headfirst into Eve’s life.
Now the two of them have to find the League leak and plug it or neither one of them will live to face another enemy, and the ones they love, and the universe at large, will be left alone to face a power-crazed madman.
Please note: Eve of Destruction is a prequel novella to Born of Blood
Our Thoughts 💭
Anything to do with the league is a one-click/ preorder for me -
This being a novella I ordered paperback, not a hardbound (it's under 100 pages)
Now that you know my feelings might be slightly swayed let's move on
This was a bit like a mixed plate appetizer at your local haunt after it got a small makeover -
A teaser that gives a quick story as well as a taste of what's coming
An introduction to some new characters to get you salivating as well as some of your old favorites
This takes place before the other league books. Back when everyone was still conscripted, still fighting for their freedom.
Before they teamed up and started serving the league their gluteus Maximus' on silver platters
We get a glimpse a closeted (could not resist and you will see)of how things started -
A simple plan to ban together that would eventually change worlds
This highlights Jinx and Eve.
She's a booty kicking bounty hunter and he is a league assassin
Two more opposite yet completely similar creatures
There is a bit of action, some series plot introduction, fan fave cameos
This does have a quick turnaround for the relationship between Jinx and Eve.
Normally insta doesn't work for me.
I was even a bit unsure the first chapter or two but it worked
When you know each moment could be your last
and have nothing to lose
you grab for what you want
consequences be darned
I'm am excited to see how it all began - We got glimpses before but now we get to be a part of that journey
#DarkFantasy #Horror #ScienceFiction #Romance #SherrilynKenyon 
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google  Apple  

Alexandro: The Vendetta Brotherhood Book FourAlexandro: The Vendetta Brotherhood Book Four by C.R. Robertson
Description:
My life was dark, bitter warzone where to survive I became a predator with a reputation that promised death to my enemies.
Then she walked into my miserable existence and I was able to breathe again.
Catarina possessed the looks of an angel who’d accidentally fallen to earth, but she had the tongue of a wicked serpent who tempted men to sin.
Alexandro led a dangerous cartel who took what they wanted and never thought about the repercussions. What he wanted was the spirited Catarina, so when no one was looking, he took her and made her his dark queen. So what if he had to convince her along the way? Those pouty lips belonged to him, and if she thought that any other man belonged in her bed, then she was about to discover why Alexandro Ramirez was know as Hades, King of the Dead.
Our Thoughts 💭
Gotta admit I was a bit unhappy with Nic a few times and oh so head over heels for Alex
Catarina finally got her moment to shine and DANG did she show what was hidden behind all that glam and sarcasm
From the moment they collided Alex saw her -
The real her -
And he knew she would be his forever
It was just a matter of getting her to acknowledge it
I really enjoyed this couple
There were no games of back and forth (okay Alex could have handled things a bit more ... openly - lmao - but he never lied)
They both acknowledged what they felt and took that leap of faith
I am not giving spoilers
As with the previous books in the series Alexandro is packed with action, betrayal, bloodshed (it is mafia people), a majorly overprotective alpha male (quite a few actually)who would do anything for the woman who owned him, a solid storyline, and an absolutely melt your panties smexy romance
This whole series is a must read
#organizedcrime #romanticsuspense #CRRobertson
Amazon  

Broken Crown (Mafia Royals, #5)Broken Crown by Rachel Van Dyken
Description:
Unrequited Love.
Arranged Marriage.
A love triangle for the ages.
A contemporary mafia retelling of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.
I will do anything for my family, and as the heir to the Campisi Mafia throne, I fall on my sword and do what’s expected of me—it wasn’t an accident that I was given the name King.
I marry the girl I love—who’s already in love with someone else, and because I’m a masochist, I make him her personal bodyguard.
After all, who better to protect the woman I love than the man she loves?
I have seven days after our wedding to own her—body and soul.
Seven days to show her everything I feel.
But tragedy strikes, and I’m forced to take the weight of the mafia crown on my head.
Now I need my Queen by my side.
I don’t know who’s with me or against me, but I will rule them all with an iron fist and make everyone proud.
As our seven days come to an end, I wonder how I will ever be able to let her go.
“Until it ends,” I whisper.
A tear slides down her cheek. “Until it ends.”
Amen
Our Thoughts 💭
I knew King's story would be epic
It did not disappoint -
I devoured every moment of this read
Every betrayal
Every prayer
Every drop of spilt blood
Every slip of hope
This is one of those reads where the characters, the events, the journey...
Will stay with the reader long after they close the final page
"Years of love have been forgot in the hatred of a minute" - Edgar Allen Poe
I bled for King - How he did what he did?
Where he found the strength to take those steps forward when everything that he had once believed sacred, safe
suddenly became his gauntlet
One, and he would walk alone if necessary for the love of his queen
"You loved the story, not the girl. "
I so abhorred you -
I was wrong and I am sorry
"Seven. Days. Now six. Life isn't fair and the devil is a liar"
"The old me would have run out and told him he was wrong. The version I'm living in now hesitates then slides down to the floor and cries"
Del fought so hard to do the right thing
Listened to her head instead of heart
It took a bit to see past the fairytale
But she wore that crown like the queen she was
This is the final book in a series - it is a mafia romance with lots of action and crimson rivers but it is also about family and loyalty Yeah you need to read them in order to get the full impact the author intended
And yes it is worth trading your lunch for 😘
#NewAdult #Mafia #RomanticSuspense #RachelVanDyken
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google  Apple

Demon's Wish (Demon Mates, #1)Demon's Wish by Xenia Melzer
Description:
Finding love is hard—especially when you’re a demon and your potential mate is your sacrifice…
Sammy is content with running his bookshop and leading a book club consisting solely of paranormal creatures. Despite the persistence of his friends, he has resolved himself to a life without romance, since he doesn’t think anybody could find him and his tendency to spill useless knowledge whenever he gets nervous attractive.
Dresalantion is a demon prince and slightly—make that majorly—annoyed when somebody persistently tries to summon him. He finally decides to show up and put the fear of Dresalantion into his summoners but finds himself rescuing their sacrifice instead.
Sammy intrigues him from the get-go, and when Dre realizes that Sammy can get him the manga he’s been hunting for months—not to mention that he refuses a wish he offered him—the sexy demon decides to get to know this fascinating man better. Much better.
Our Thoughts 💭
I enjoyed spending time with this mismatched group of slightly off (lol) paranormal characters
This was a light angst smexy feel-good romance
Filled with all kinds of mushy sweet moments - I liked the way Declan was so attuned to Sammy
Lots of laughs as well as some juvenile humor that just fit the moment
All kinds of trivia - little competition between these two
Off the charts chemistry
Sammy comes off a bit naive - Not blind or dumb more accepting? of what is not the norm?
He is highly intelligent, sweet as all get, and thoughtful to a fault
Then we had Declan - he is weirdly nice for a demon - who has dreamed of a forever mate but is weary
When he finds Sammy waiting to be his sacrifice he finds he is compelled to do everything in his power to make him his forever
Fun secondary characters
I look forward to the next in series
#MMRomance #Fantasy #Paranormal #FatedMates #XeniaMelzer
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google  Apple

Country (Diamond MC #1)Country by Lila Rose
Description:
I had her and loved the taste of her.
But she’s too young, too sweet and good.
I’ll keep her safe, and I want her happy.
Even if my own heart tells me I’m a fool for not making her mine.
Our few nights were electric. She left her mark and burned her goodness into my heart.
There’s no room left for anyone else, only her.
I can’t chase her. I have to let her go.
Sure, she’s a club girl and I could have her under me whenever I want, but I can’t do that to her. I refuse to pull her any deeper into the Diamond MC.
When that decision is taken out of my hands and she’s dragged into the darkness, all I see is rage and bloodshed.
I’ll make them pay. Every single one of them who thought they could steal her away, take her from me.
She’s everything.
And once I have her back, I’ll make sure I never let go.
She’s light and goodness.
Maybe she’s too good for me, but maybe she’s just what I need to balance my world.
I’ll give her everything and make her mine.
And just maybe she’ll make me hers too.
Our Thoughts 💭
I had so much fun meeting the members of the Diamond MC and getting to share in Country and Dusty's story
This was a great start to a new series
A vivid and diverse cast of characters
A sweet but at times tense (minor triggers for some) storyline that had me laughing one moment and gripping my reader in the next
Dusty wants a little bit of excitement in her life and what better way than to become a club girl
She's young but she is mature beyond her years and she has her eyes set on Country
Country is the leader of the Diamond MC and almost twice Dusty's age but after spending some time with her he realizes she is what he has been missing
I read this in one sitting
The story flowed so easily - dragging me in and keeping me engaged
The author crafted a solid foundation without bogging the story down
I love the supporting cast and their little quirks - they brought something memorable to the overall tone of the story
Dusty and Country were so perfect for each other. Neither denied their feelings but they also failed to properly share them. Dusty, because of her own innate need to not be a burden, and well she was just a club girl - what did she have to offer?
And Country? Because why would a sweet gal like Dusty want to be tied to him?
But when the enemy gets their hands on Dusty Country realizes he would raze the world to see her safe in his arms.
I will be adding this series to my must-read list
#Adult #MCRomance #RomanticSuspense #LilaRose  


#bookworm #bookaddict #bibliophile #booknerd #romance #romancereads #authorsofinstagram #bookblogger #bookblogs #readingromance  #booksofinstagram #bookstagram #instabook #bookworms #greatreads #readersofig #readerforlife 

Comments