Skip to main content

Book Thoughts and Recommendations 🧐 Our Picks for the Week of Oct 17th

  


📚 Our Book Thoughts and Recommendations


🔥 Flame to Frost by Myra Danvers

♟️ The Ravishing by Ava Harrison

💎 Stolen Love by Charmaine Pauls

🐺 Bariloche Sector by Lexi C. Foss

⚔️ Savage Prince by Alison Aimes

🕯️ Avenging Angel by Naomi Porter


See all of our reviews and recommendations

Amazon  BookBub  Goodreads 



Flame to Frost (The Last Tritan #1)Flame to Frost by Myra Danvers
Description:
Sheltered in the lap of luxury, Mila is eighteen when her world dissolves in flames around her.
War.
A utopia swallowed in a single night.
Orphaned and alone, terrified of being captured, Mila flees the conquerors who have come to claim. To snatch up those gifted few called priestess―Tritan women born with magic in their blood. They are healers. Peacekeepers bound and chained, used as living batteries, they become the fuel that feeds the Caledonian army and creates unstoppable warriors.
The elite.
Warmongers. Dogs of the state, they are the perfect soldiers―everything a Tritan priestess isn't, wielding power that does not belong to them.
But Mila is an enigma. A priestess hidden from her own people, hers is a secret her father died to keep. One Mila will use to fight from the shadows, striking against the empire in any way she can. An army of one, with the power of many...
Until she is betrayed. Captured. Sold.
To Captain Asher Rawlings.
Captor. Villain. Elite. Even without a priestess of his own, Asher's power lashes at her senses. Dark flames lapping at her nape, whispering of untapped potential Mila didn't think possible.
Helpless, subject to Asher's every whim, Mila is made to obey his every sordid command. Left with nothing but her secret.
That she is a Tritan priestess―the one thing he needs to seize a legendary power that could tip the scales of the war and ensure an everlasting Caledonian rule.
Now Mila must navigate a world of villains and political conspiracy, endure anything Asher throws her way, and above all else... never reveal what she is.
Our Thoughts 💭:
I am a bit 🙊
This is a dark dystopian that will hit all your trigger buttons and then some
You will want to look away
You will want to close the pages
You will not be able to
You will be a slave to its darkness just as much as Mila is
We are dropped right into the action
In the middle of a war
Mila is fighting to keep her freedom to keep herself out of the hands of her enemies
She saves those she can -
It is her kindness that ends up being her weakness
Trapped - Sold - Betrayed
Her secret becomes Captain Asher Rawlings greatest achievement
This ends on a cliffy and for me, it was a heartbreak moment
I felt attached to Mila. She fought so hard to do what was right only to be betrayed by those she believed she was helping. I knew it was coming -
Didn't make it hurt any less
Asher is an evil arse but he is not the only villain in this tale
This is a dystopian world filled with the acts we so commonly find occurring during a war ( in other words it contains all kinds of triggers) if this is not your thing I would skip this one
The author did not sugarcoat scenes
I need to know what happens next - like now, please
#Fantasy #Omegaverse #Dark #Action #SciFi #Action #MyraDanvers
 Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google  Apple

The RavishingThe Ravishing by Ava Harrison
Description:
𝐴𝑛𝑦𝑎:
My father was ruthless.
Cold. Calculated. Formidable.
Every decision. Every step. Every thought. Every breath he controlled.
I never thought anyone could despise him as much as I did.
I was wrong. So wrong.
There was one person.
He wanted revenge. I was the willing pawn.
He was dangerous, beautiful, broken, and most of all a way to get back at my father.
But there’s one thing I didn’t count on . . .
Falling in love.
𝐶𝑎𝑠𝑠𝑖𝑢𝑠:
Stephen Glassman is my sworn enemy.
And so, I felt no guilt as I took his most valuable possession.
His darling daughter.
Anya’s suffering is my new favorite pastime.
My promise to kill her one day? Inevitable.
She’s mine now. Mine to control. Mine to seduce. Mine to own.
Who knew revenge would be this sweet?
Our Thoughts 💭:
The twist?
The secret?
Holy Crispy Crackers!
Cassius has had years to craft and hone his revenge. But what he didn't foresee was the jewel about to land in his lap - Anya
Anya has lived a sheltered life more as a trinket her parents brought out to share on social occasions than the daughter she was
All that changed the night she met Cassius
This starts out pretty fast-paced then slows a bit as Cass and Anya dance around the emotions pulling at them both.
Soon they discover things are not as black and white as they both believed.
As skeletons emerge and the secrets begin to unravel they each find themselves at a crossroad in their lives
One way is known
The other an unknown that could be either their damnation or salvation
The problem is deciphering between what is real and what is misdirection
The overall tone of the story is more one of self-discovery and romance dotted with some mystery than dark. The relationship between these two is sweet and well-formed
At about 60% the story suddenly takes off at which point I was riveted to my recliner white knuckle grip on my kindle screaming directions - a bit psycho looking but I could see what was on the other side of the wall!
#Dark #Romance #Suspense #Contemporary #AvaHarrison #VanessaFewings  
Amazon  

Stolen Love (Beauty in the Stolen, #3)Stolen Love by Charmaine Pauls
Description:
A DIAMOND MAGNATE NOVEL
Once upon a time, a thief stole me in the middle of the night. He took what he wanted, gave me an illusion, and ripped it all away to claim his ultimate trophy. My heart may be physically weak, but fighting to live made me stronger. I won’t perish as easily as that. I’m turning the tables on him. After all, I learned from the best. I’m robbing him of what he stole from me.
*Stolen Love concludes the trilogy.
Our Thoughts 💭:
"Just go through the motions. Follow the routine. Once you start, the rest follows. Like a wheel set in motion, the cogs will turn until existing becomes second nature again. "
After the ending in book two, my heart was shattered
Not only did I feel Ian's betrayal I worried how things were going to play out for Cas
Some of my fears materialized
But Cas - being the strong women she is found a goal, if you will, and has every intention of balancing the scales
This final episode picks up a year after the literal cliff we were left on
Only it looks like not everything is as it seemed and many are not playing by the rules anymore
Cas wants revenge
Wolfe wants to wrap up loose ends and his obsession has only grown
Ian, well I am not spoiling that
Be prepared - this is one twisted discovery after another
Packed with action and suspense and so many "holy chi" moments
A few tissues and teddy moments that will stay with me long after I leave this couple behind
Some of my favorite characters from previous books play front and center roles
This may be one of my favorite endings
#Dark #Romance #Contemporary #Romantic #Suspense #Crime #Adult #Mystery #Action #charmainepauls
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google  Apple

Bariloche Sector (X-Clan, #3)Bariloche Sector by Lexi C. Foss
Description:
Life is a series of prisons.
And in the end, there's only death.
Kari Zamora
My father enslaved me. Ruined me. Sold me. Left me to suffer.
Until he rescued me.
Alpha Sven Mickelson of Norse Sector claims to be my savior, to want me to live, and vows to protect me. But I know Alphas can't be trusted. All he wants is my mating bond. To own me. To make me his.
No one cares what I want. But they will.
Because I have a plan.
One no one will see coming.
And by the time they realize I'm gone, it'll be too late to chase me.
Sven Mickelson
My destiny is to lead. To own. To possess. I'm an Alpha of significant birthright, and I'm ready to claim what's mine. Except she continues to deny me.
Omega Kari is broken. Destroyed. A female shredded apart by those she trusted most. And I'm the only one who can piece her back together. If she lets me.
She thinks I'm blind to her conniving ways, but I sense the fighter lurking beneath her fur. I'm daring her to come out to play. Because when she does, I'll finally be able to stake my claim.
So go on, then, little wolf.
Try to run.
I won't be far behind.
And together, we'll burn Bariloche Sector to the ground.
Note: This is a standalone shifter romance with omegaverse and dystopian elements.
Our Thoughts 💭:
Tissue box and Teddy bear read
This was...
I am unsure how to word this to do it justice -
As a romance reader I find the HEA usually follows the rescue of the heroine (yes a bit sexist but it is fiction)
But what I rarely get a chance to experience is the journey of healing
Kari had been suffocated by the darkness for so long that even the smallest rays of light no longer gave hope
So when she suddenly found her world flooded with possibilities -Choices
She had trouble believing - Hoping
This is Kari's journey
It is not an easy one
It is filled with pain and fear
Self-loathing and doubt
Hopelessness and surrender
and Sven
He will show her
Patience
Acceptance
Love
He will prove to her that she is of worth
Not only to herself but to him
even if she does chew his furniture
claw up his walls
throw her food
bite
WTH Woman!
This is a journey of acceptance and love.
Kari may be fictional but her emotional journey is one of possibility
It is the darker side of salvation
The side we don't talk about - just gloss over
Foss does not hold back - a warning for those of you with delicate sensibilities
One of the best reads for 2021 and a wonderful addition to the X-Clan series
#Omegaverse #Paranormal #Romance #Dystopia #Shapeshifters #Fantasy #Paranorma #Romance #LexiCFoss
Amazon

Savage Prince (Ruthless Warlords, #2)Savage Prince by Alison Aimes
Description:
He's a notorious crime lord—and he’s on the hunt for her.
He’s mafia royalty. Worlds above her. Ice-cold and merciless. Driven by duty and dark secrets.
She’s property. Expected to submit. Imprisoned by ruthless criminals determined to break her for information she can’t afford to give.
Except there’s something different about Maxheim Skolov. Something that awakens long buried instincts within Tess and draws her toward the man inside the beast.
A force more dangerous than anything she’s faced to date.
So, she runs.
But she won’t get far.
For mafia prince Maxheim Skolov, hunting down the rebellious, spirited female is a certainty. He’ll do whatever it takes to have her kneeling at his feet once more, even begin a galactic war.
The real question is what he’ll do with her—and to her—when he catches her.
Savage Prince: A Dark Mafia Omegaverse Fated-Mates Romance is the second book in the Ruthless Warlords series. It is a scorching HOT standalone, though it is recommenced to read the series in order for greatest enjoyment.
Our Thoughts 💭:
This is my favorite of the series to date
Packed with suspense, action, those awesome twists and betrayals that blindside you, and the smexist of romances
"You fear I can't give you what you want, but I'm here to promise I can" - Maxheim
This was such an emotional read - not in a tear your heart out angsty way - it was more that quiet strength that carries a soul through its darkest times. Hope but not in the traditional sense
Max and Tess ... *sigh*
They were like oil and water
They were opposites in so many ways yet every time something happened that would shake things up they became one unit
Each still an individual force to be reckoned with but together they were indivisible
Both protectors
Both fierce
Tess had only known heartbreak and subservience she was a slave as well as a tool. She had a plan to free herself and those she claimed as her "family'
It was the light at the end of her tunnel
Until him
Now things were not as clear as they had once been
Max had always been the fixer, the caretaker
He was going to find his siblings and destroy those who took them
His mind was solely focused on his mission
Until her
His control was teetering - His once singular focus shot
Both must choose the wrong choice could cost them their lives
#Omegaverse #sciFi #Romance #Fantasy #Dark #Adult #Erotica #Crime #Aliens #alisonaimes
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google  Apple

Avenging Angel (Knight's Legion MC, #2)Avenging Angel by Naomi Porter
Description:
The mayhem continues for the Knight's Legion MC…
Storm. My protector.
I need his darkness, like he needs my light.
After surviving an abusive relationship, I swore off men.
Until the President of the Knight’s Legion MC crashes into my life, holding me captive with his haunted gray eyes.
Storm is a force to be reckoned with and I welcome the chaos— it makes me feel alive.
He owns me. Body and soul. I love the way he loves me. Fueled by a fierceness that keeps him on the edge, but I keep him from going over.
When the enemy threatens to tear us apart, I find out just how strong I really am.
Storm is my everything... I will do anything for him, regardless of the sacrifice.

NOT a standalone. Please read Savage Storm first. It is recommended you read the series in order.
**Contains dark elements. Reader discretion advised.**
Our Thoughts 💭:
What a ride!
I read this cover to cover in one sitting
I'm not sure if it was because the foundation was already laid out and the spotlight was more on specific events or if I already had a strong connection with the cast from book one - Possibly both
Either way, things moved quickly and I couldn't break away.
I had to fight with myself to not peek ahead just to make sure things worked out -
Some heavy angst moments ripped at my soul while some of the sweetest one on one moments between our couple made me believe in love again
The antagonists (more than one bottom feeder was causing problems) were either evil, petty, or suffering small Willie's syndrome 🤣
Rest assured the Knights took care of their own and justice was handed out
We also were introduced to some new and supporting characters that I believe will have major roles or spotlights in future episodes
I'm also hoping Hero gets his HEA next - he deserves it
This is book 2 in the Knight's Legion series - it is NOT standalone.
#darkromance #naomiporter   
Amazon

Comments